The team was formed to deliver on a grant from the National Science Foundation – A Sociotechnical Systems Study of Virtual R&D Organizations. The STS Roundtable co-sponsored this effort with The University of Illinois at Champaign Urbana. A major presentation of preliminary findings was delivered at the Academy of Management as well as at the Conference Board and STS/RT Annual Meeting in Boston in 2013.
During 2014-15, the findings were applied in support of work at a prominent North American research laboratory. Then, final results of the research were Team Performance Management: An International Journal.
The VOSS Team focused on three key areas of inquiry:
1. What is the nature of optimal deliberations in virtual R&D projects?
- Distinguishing characteristics of effective deliberations and virtual forums
- How the nature of virtual platforms affects quality/effectiveness of deliberations
2. What differentiates successful deliberations?
- Impact of spatial locatedness and temporality on success
- Impact of the degree of virtuality and telepresence on quality of deliberations across R&D continuum
- Sources of variances, errors, delays and factors accounting for their control or correction
3. What is the impact of structure and organization on deliberation success?
- How different organizational arrangements influence the design of deliberations
- To what extent the way that deliberations are assembled and managed acts as intervening variables in control of variances and delays in virtual R&D
- Doug Austrom firstname.lastname@example.org
- Betty Barrett email@example.com
- Betsy Merck firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bert Painter email@example.com
- Pamela Posey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ron Purser email@example.com
- Ramkrishnan (Ram) V. Tenkasi firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a repository of the papers, case studies, and presentations produced by the VOSS NSF—STS/RT research project. Individual links would attach to:
- OLKC Paper
- Working Paper
- Case Study: LVG
- Case Study: NACC
- Case Study: Orchid
- Presentation: Academy of Management
- Presentation: Conference Board
- Presentation: Organizing Design Forum
- Presentation: TED @ STSRT Boston